As has been noted in the comments to another of my recent blog entries, GMT Games have now released a PDF of the rulebook for Commands & Colors: Napoleonics.
Although I have not read them thoroughly, an initial read does reveal both significant and subtle changes to the way the mechanics work. For example:
- The command cards are very reminiscient of those from Memoir ’44 (as are the combat dice)
- Combat strength of units is now directly linked to the number of blocks in that unit.
- Artillery, if mounted on a hill, can now fire over interveaning units at a target.
- Infantry units may ‘form square’ as a charge reaction vs cavalry
- Combined unit operations are allowed, which especially allows cavalry and artillery to work hand in hand against infantry.
Overall, the rules seem pretty solid. They retain the ease of the C&C system whilst adding in special rules that give period flavour to the game.
However, the final proof of the pudding is in the eating – unfortunately, there is still no word on the actual release date for this game. I’m hoping it will hit our shelves in the UK before Christmas.