The Heresy Dragon Part V – Painting the Beast (Part 3)

In the penultimate part of his series on painting the Heresy Dragon, Mike Hobbs turns his attention to the wings…

This is the 5th in a series of articles documenting my progress in assembling and painting the Heresy Dragon, if you haven’t looked at the other posts then feel free to do that, don’t worry we can wait…

Part I – Introduction
Part II – Building the Beast
Part III – Painting the Beast (Part 1)
Part IV – (Painting the Beast (Part 2)

When we left the tale I had just finished the dragons head and was at the stage where I had to tackle the wings, now to be honest I had been putting this off as I wasn’t sure what colour to paint the wing membranes.

But before I made that decision I had to first paint the ‘hands’ i.e. all the scaled parts

Once the wings had been undercoated in my trusty Army Painter Chaotic red, I started on the normal procedure of wash and drybrush up (see previous articles for details on that)
pic1

Now this was where I had a dilemma, as originally I was going to stick with my theme and paint the wing membranes a light chestnut colour but I got the idea into my head that a darker shade would look good. So I painted up 2 sections and did what any self-respecting geek would do and I asked Twitter to help, these are pictures of the 2 schemes

pic2
pic3

The vote was in universal favour of the lighter colour so that’s what I went for.

I used the same colours as I used on the dragons belly (see previous article) using 3 shades of Foundry Chestnut followed by a flesh wash and then more highlighting up using chestnut again.

Here’s pictures of the steps

Dark chestnut to light

pic4
pic5
pic6

Flesh wash
pic7
Drybrush of chestnut medium and light to highlight
pic8
pic9

Once that was done I had to touch up some of the red colour and I also painted the claws in Foundry Rawhide (3 shades) and gave them a brown wash.

Which meant I was now ready to assemble the wings.

This was another risky moment as I knew I’d have to fill the gaps around the wing joints and filling a model that’s been painted is a pain as the putty doesn’t stick very well to painted surfaces. But firstly I had to glue 3 very large and heavy resin pieces together, I didn’t pin these as the wing joints on the model are really well thought out and with my slow cure zap-a-gap the assembly was straight forward.
pic10
pic11

Once the wings were on I sat back and just looked at the model, I couldn’t believe just how big it was, I also couldn’t believe I managed to put it together.

But it wasn’t finished yet I still had to sort out the joins on the wings, but more of that in the next (and final) article

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: