In the past, when I’ve painted infantry, I’ve always painted in a production line – this was true when I was painting my German WW2 platoon over Christmas.
More recently, I’ve been trying to paint in small batches – especially with vehicles. I’ve identified what I need to the next x scenarios we are playing, and then painted those models. This has worked quite well, and I’m making a significant dent in my painting queue.
A few weeks ago I identified some more infantry I needed: Officers and NCOs, a tripod mounted MG42 team, A Forward Observer Team, some MG42 crew (ammunition carriers) and some more MG42 teams for use with Sdkfz 250/1 half tracks (these are a great 3-point option in the German force list for Chain of Command)
I mounted all these on pennies, got them undercoated and started painteing them – I’d got through all the helmets and painted half a dozen uniforms – when I started feeling more than a bit fed up. German infantry are a bit of a PITA in 15mm to be honest – they carry a lot of different colour kit, so are very bitty to paint.
As I was struggling, I decided to change tack slightly and focus on more short-term goals. I broke the infantry back into their respective packs and decided to paint a pack at a time, so you get a ‘quick win’ every few days. The result is that I’ve painted both my NCOs and Officers in the space of a few days – that may not seem like much, but for me it was a big step forward.
I’m got to field a half-squad of each of these figures in the next Winged Horse scenario, so everything has come together rather well.
30 minutes a night, and small achievable goals – this seems to be working.
I might even get chance to paint up the MG42 ammo carriers before Thursday…