I’m a bit of a fan of the Alternative World War II setting, but more of the Weird War setting rather than 1946+ – be it the one with Werewolves, Vampires and Zombies,such as Secrets of the Third Reich (btw, I love the Incursion boardgame) or something more like the start of the first Hellboy film.
Ever since we covered the original launch of the Acthung! Cthulhu RPG from Modiphius Entertainment in episode 105 of the podcast (back in March 2013) I’ve thought that it was crying out for a miniatures game. Chris Birch hinted last year that they were working on it
Well, the wait is almost over.
Yesterday, Modiphius released the following press announcement:
Today we’re really pleased to reveal first details on our new Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish game.
Transport your roleplaying adventures onto the battlefield with the release of the Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish line, which allows you to fight some of the Secret War’s most pivotal battles. Set around the events of the Secret War Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish introduces players to the terrifying conflict fought to stop the sorcerous Nazi cult of the Black Sun from unleashing a tide of Mythos horrors against the Allies.
Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish: Rise of the Black Sun is the title of the first wave of releases during 2016 which will complete a whole story arc set around the first battles fought by the secretive Allied forces Section M, set up by the British to combat the Mythos threat and their US counterparts Majestic.
Take command of brave Allied forces like Badger’s Commandos and the Pathfinder Demon Hunters alongside historical army units, and lead them to victory against the Axis hordes. Deploy special hero units like Sgt Brandon Carter, Professor Richard Deadman or Ariane Dubois to take on the might of the Nazi war machine.
Set against them are arrayed the powerful forces of Exarch Weissler’s Black Sun, who as well as conventional troops and weapons can bring devastating magical power to the battlefield, summoning ancient and terrible creatures like the unholy Servitors of Nyarlathotep as well as powerful allies such as the Deep Ones War Party and Mi-Go Expedition to crush the Allied threat.
Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmishis powered by Spartan Games’ Dystopian Legions 2.0 rules set (re-written by Matthew Hope(Relic Knights, AE-WWII, Wrath of Kings, Sedition Wars). The game allows for fast playing battles from small skirmishes up to full-scale conflicts. Modiphius has added new rules for Mythos powers, creatures, artifacts and spells to allow players to experience the full flavour and terror of the Achtung! Cthulhuuniverse with their heroes and troops. The range is designed to work alongside other popular 28mm miniature lines.
In July the PDF of the Commander’s Set and Rise of the Black Sun campaign book will be available from Wargame Vault and the Modiphius.net store and this will herald the July launch of both the Commander’s Set and the Rise of the Black Sun Starter Bundle.
The Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish Commander’s Set goes on pre-order today with a special bonus of a free miniatures set for all customers. The Commander’s set gives you a 144 page rule book including full units stats for the Black Sun, Allies and Mythos horrors, 3 counter sheets including templates, a double-sided reference sheet, 15 dice and a 54 card deck of TAC Cards, Mythos events and spells. The Commanders set will ship in July to web and retail customers.
The Achtung! Cthulhu:Rise of the Black Sun Two Player Starter Box Bundle goes on WEB ONLY pre-order today. This includes all the contents of the Commander’s Set plus the 32 page Rise of the Black Sun Campaign book (also available separately in PDF), an extra card deck and extra 15 dice (30 total), 3 x Allied Investigators (Professor Deadman, Natalya Petrova & Badger Harris), 3 x Pathfinder Demonhunters, 6 x Badger’s Commando’s, 1 Black Sun Villains (Master, Canon and Die Tote guard), 10 x Black Sun Troopers and 10 x Servitor’s of Nyarlathotep Horde.
The Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish rule set features:
- A fast paced wargame rule set combining World War Two and the Cthulhu Mythos.
- Based on the highly successful Dystopian Legions by Spartan Games.
- New Rules and Conversion by Matthew Hope (Relic Knights, AE-WWII, Wrath of Kings, Sedition Wars)
- Call for reinforcements like the Deep One war party, Servitors of Nyarlathotep Horde, Badger’s Commandos or Demonhunter Pathfinders to rule the battlefield along.
- Summon a host of Mythos creatures from the Achtung! Cthulhu universe to fight alongside your forces and spread terror amongst the enemy
- Track the growing influence of the Mythos over the battlefield. As the Mythos Influence Level rises, strange and terrible things begin to happen to those involved in the conflict.
- New Tactical Action Cards and MARs ‘Model Assigned Rules’-that capture the feel and flavour of the Achtung! Cthulhu settings.
- Special rules for Mythos powers, spells and artefacts.
- Stats for Achtung! Cthulhu forces as well as standard historical infantry, support weapons, vehicles and tanks.
- Players from either side can bring powerful spellcasters to bear-weaving battlefield spells to ensure victory over their enemy.
- Expand your campaigns with hero and villain characters like Sgt Brandon Carter, Ariane D’bois or ‘Sweet’ Liesel Bohm, Adawolfa Gabler, or Franz ‘the Blackbird’ Amsel.
- Further narrative campaigns and expansion sets throughout the year will expand and enhance your Achtung! Cthulhu adventures!
Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish Release Schedule
May: Badger’s Commandos (10) , Black Sun Troopers (10), Deep One War Party (8) and Servitors of Nyarlathotep Horde (10).
May – Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish Rule Book & Card Deck in PDF.
July: Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish Commander’s Set
July: (WEB ONLY) Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish: Rise of the Black Sun Two PlayerStarter Set Bundle
July: Section M & Majestic Investigator’s (10 figure set), Byakhee (3 figure set)
August: Mi-Go Expedition (8 figure set), Black Sun Villains (10 figure set)
September: Cultists of Cthulhu (10 figure set)
The Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish game will continue to grow throughout the year with further mission packs, campaigns and scenarios in the works, plus further planned miniatures unit packs to expand your forces! Existing three figure blisters will continue to be available from the Modiphius.net store as well as through select retailers. Watch out for the launch of our free online magazine The Forest of Fear from June with photographic graphic novel stories, scenarios, new units, fiction and rules. Discover the horror of the secret war fought out beneath the ancient forests of the Ardennes
To secure pre-orders of the Achtung! Cthulhu Skirmish game head on over to
The Two Player Starter Bundle looks to be very good value for money indeed, priced at £79.99, its contents look to be worth something in the region of £115 if bought individually. This has immediately been added to my ‘must buy’ list.
It looks as if I might be collecting some standard World War II forces in 28mm after all – I’ll just have to wait and see what the rules suggest…
Roll on pay day!