Given that Dave Luff and I are meant to be helping to umpire games of Saga at the Joy of Six show in a few weeks, we thought it would be useful if we played a few games beforehand (as we haven’t played for about 3 years or so!).
The game was nothing to write home about, as we were just re-learning the basic rules. However, I realised that these models had probably never been featured on the blog, so I thought I’d post some pictures. The Warlord and all the foot troops are from Crusader Miniatures. The mounted knights are Conquest Games plastics
The army consists of:
- 1 Warlord
- William the Bastard – ‘Hero of the Dark Age’
- 3 units of Knights
- 1 unit of Serjeants with Crossbows
- 1 unit of Serjeants with Bows
- 2 Units of Peasant Levy with Bows
After looking at and playing with my Normans I realised that:
- I need to revisit the painting on the Knights. The models (especially the horses) are pretty basically painted (if I remember, I was rushing to finish them for a competition, and I don’t think I’ve really played with them since!) They are OK from three feet away, but not good close up!
- Bow armed troops are not great against Vikings due some of their abilities, so I need to get some Mounted Serjeants (Luckily, I have a couple of boxes which were going to double as Bretons) – This may also explain the unit of Flemish Mercenaries that are sat on my shelf, waiting to be painted…
Two units of bow armed Peasants
Three units of Knights