Most of the time, recording and editing a podcast is a pretty straight forward affair – you simply record the show, spend a few hours running through it, taking out the ‘errs’ and ‘umms’ (and editing my own input so I at least make some sort of sense!), put it all together with jingles and music and publish it – probably about 10 – 12 hours work per show.
However, on the odd occasion – usually due to some technical issues during recording – things become a little harder.
The latest show I recorded has been one of these. I actually recorded the interview on the 17th November – it’s a chat about Deadzone with Jake Thornton. The show was recorded whilst I was staying in a hotel, so the internet connection wasn’t the best, as I discovered when I came to editing.
The recording suffers from two issues: distortion and lag – the lag is the most annoying, as it inserts random half-second pauses throughout the conversation…usually several times a minute. It makes the editing process painful in the extreme, and I’m not convinced that the final product, once it’s been through the audio balancing software, will be usable anyway.
I was two weeks late in starting editing due to some magazine and college work deadlines, and real life has interjected several times since (it’s that time of year!)
All this, is of course. simply a list of excuses as to why you have been waiting 4 weeks for the next podcast episode. It’s coming, honest…just not as quickly as I had hoped…